Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum

Go down 
2 posters

Does this made you laugh like a Crack??
Yeh.. Of course.. I laughed like a crack..
The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_vote_lcap100%The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 2 ]
Hmmm... Laughed out a little..
The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_vote_lcap0%The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Blah... Just interesting..
The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_vote_lcap0%The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
What is there to laugh dude??
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
mathes
mathes

The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum Empty
PostSubject: The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum   The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:59 am

In Microsoft answers forum, the following discussion went on and I've collected some of the important chats by various technos answering there...

Code:
 http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/720108ee-0a9c-4090-b62d-bbd5cb1a7605

Here is the important points of the discussion..

Topic: Hard Drive weight increasing?

K_McLovin He is the one who asked the following question.
Apologies if this is the incorrect area for this question.

I've noticed that as I copy data/install programs on my Laptop, the weight of the Laptop increases. I have a bad back and am medically limited on the amount of weight I can carry so I need to be very carefull not to inflict injury upon myself.

I have also noticed my XBox feels heavier as well (the more games I save or purchase from arcade). I generally don't travel with my XBox so that is not an issue for me, but note the I am having the same results.

My ask, what is the weight/file ratio? So for example, how many GB's = 6oz? I dread the day I need a dolly to commute to work with my Laptop.

Thanks in advance!
- K

Here are the various answers
dixonticon

If you have very large files, you can compress them and then compress the compressed file etc. until the files are down to 1 byte. That should make you laptop lighter than when you bought it! I use this trick all the time so that I can save my entire music collection on a 5-1/4" floppy (yeah, I found a use for them Smile

Jr C

This is a rare error when the overwriting mechanism of the memory banks lead to an overflow of data because it cannot add on and thus super-stack, increasing the weight significantly. While normal weight/file ratio is approximately 0.02 oz/GB, in rare cases such as these, it can go as high as somewhere around 6 oz/GB.

One solution is going to the system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32) and deleting certain unnecessary files, but too much tampering may cause permanent changes to your computer.

Clan Epsilon

Guys he's serious, his last name is McLovin, you gotta trust that...

ChristophSackl

Actually the weight of your hard drive decreases after formatting it for the first time. On an unformatted hard drive the bits are spread in weird order all over the drive and there's big chaos. This causes strong magnetic forces and there's a constant push-pull between the bits. This consumes a lot of energy and according to a smart guy called Einstein energy has weight. When formatting the drive for the first time the bits are put in order and also stay in order when writing data to the disk thus the energy decreases and thus the weight actually decreases and doesn't increase.
P.S. This is fully serious! Read: http://www.wdr.de/tv/wissen-macht-ah/archiv/kuriosah/computer.phtml. Unfortunately the site is in German but I've written the most important part above.

Sergio Rodriguez Garcia

Dear friend:
Every Gigabyte counts as 5oz of extra weight for your computer.There has been cases (in computers with 1Tb of Hard drive and more) of people left eMule activated 3 days and when that people returned to the computer,there was a hole in the floor instead.

Maybe you should try a compression software (like 7zip for example) which help reducing the data's weight.

Take care of those P2P software that quickly increase your data.Watch out and be careful.

Use MS-DOS to drastically reduce data weight.

Greetings from Spain!

lanuletta

It depends on the size of the gigabyte, if it's a bigger gigabyte it will weigh more (like a normal bite of your Mcdonalds) ...the bigger the byte the more energy (jiggawatts) it will consume and therefore weigh more. Using the formula w=g/j (weight = gigabytes/jiggawatts) you will see how much the weight will increase. Avoid .exe files as they are really heavy according to Christophé Toffy Brun in his 1908 memoirs...

Visentico Rey

Yes, we have to take that seriously.
If we don't delete the programs that we don't use, we can crash our backs, or even... who knows, transform our planet into a black hole.

XD

Elmer Homero The Ultimate comedy of the show

Esteemed lanuletta:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. The fact is that the equation to which you refer (discovered in the XVIIII century, by Lineus Torvaldus) involves gigabytes AND giggawatts (as opposed to your "jiggawatts" which have been deprecated). The correct form is>
"weight of data equals gigabytes divided by giggawatts"
or
wD=g/g
Basic algebra shows that g/g=1, so
wD=1
Divide both sides by D...
w(D/D) = 1/D
thus eliminating (D/D) it renders.
w = 1/D
Which reads: "The weight is the inverse of the Data"

This is the formal mathematical proof that the more data you store, the LESS the computer weights.
If anything, this person should put his hamburger ON TOP of the laptop, to act as a paperwieght.

Elmer Homero

Elmer Homero //Same man

Forgot to explain:
The fact that the giggawat is spelled with a "g" is because it actually has the same latin root as gigabyte: "gi" and means "the highest one" as in "ginius" (the highest one in IQ).

Elmer Homero

Landi

I am glad you brought this up actually.

I don't think this is just a technology problem. The other day, I was reading one of those MS press books (One of the Thick ones) and towards the end of the book (after reading it for about three hours) I wanted to get up for a glass of water and use the toilet eventually.
But, here's when a strange thing happened. As i was about to get up (I usually read in bed) my head was so heavy that I couldn't get up. I roughly estimate the wheight increase ~564.32 grams.
Well, I attributed this phenomena to the amount of information that got stored in my brain during that time (Notice the similarity there ? )
I eventually fell asleep and when I woke up a few hours later to take the MS exam guess what?!? My head was light again, and I consequently failed the Exam as I couldn't remember anything a read on that book.

Based on my experience, what I would suggest, is turn the laptop off, leave it like that for a few hours and then you can carry it around without risking to break your back. You might risk to loose your data but hey, your health is more important.

I hope that helps

OratIos

Onre more,

Don't think too much....The data inside your Brain increases your weight!!!

Hooo boy tongue .. I cant control myself from laughing..

Last edited by mathes on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Coded the links)
Back to top Go down
http://itcians.subjectdebate.com
Arvind
Administrator
Administrator
Arvind

PostSubject: Re: The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum   The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi Mathes,

Good info man!!! confused but what a silly conversation, people just baaa in reply. I am not sure what he is asking? is he talking about the space of hard drive by weight ? or is he literally meaning weight of the PC?

Actually the weight of your hard drive or PC or Laptop is fixed it does not increase or decrease when you install or uninstall or zip files.

May be I can solve his problem here is my solution for his problem:

Throw the hard drive or dismantle the PC and carry where you go lol! It surely reduce the weight your PC and solve your back problem Wink

-Arvind
Back to top Go down
https://infinitude.forumotion.com
mathes
mathes

PostSubject: Re: The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum   The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 11:25 pm

Quote :
Throw the hard drive or dismantle the PC and carry where you go It surely reduce the weight your PC and solve your back problem

This is quite a cool idea bro..

Literally, he means that when he installs games in his laptop or xbox, the weight(in kilograms) gets increased...

The top most fun is that all the 'techno's have replied him and gave suggestions which made us to laugh wild and even the moderator of that community have locked it coz she dont want the FUN to go on...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://itcians.subjectdebate.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum   The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The most fantastic topic ever discussed in Microsoft’s forum
Page 1 of 1